1. Home
  2.  ▶ 
  3. Firm News
  4.  ▶ When Do I Need a Lawyer After Someone Has Died?

At Marks Elder Law we remain committed to serving you and meeting your legal needs promptly – more than ever in these demanding times. Our office is again open for any work that can’t be effectively done remotely, including meeting with clients (though we still use videoconferencing, phone and email as well)

Having up-to-date estate planning arrangements in the form of Powers of Attorney and Wills, at least, is crucial to peace of mind as well as actual preparedness. You may benefit from taking your planning a step further with a Revocable Trust, and some families absolutely need Special Needs Trust type planning  for any family member with a disability.

If you are headed toward expensive long-term care such as in a nursing home, you must seek expert advice to protect yourself, your assets and your family.  With the right advice, long-term care patients and their families get a much, much better bottom line result. We can help you protect your assets.

Finally,  if a loved one has died, we also provide expert assistance to help you wind up their affairs  and administer their estate. These are some ways in which we  at MARKS ELDER LAW  may be able to help you.  Please keep reading, and call or email today.


When Do I Need a Lawyer After Someone Has Died?

On Behalf of | Nov 12, 2019 | Firm News

After a loved one has passed away, certain steps have to be taken for which
a lawyer’s help is ordinarily needed. There are other practical
actions and decisions that family members can usually undertake without
the help of an attorney.

Which steps require an attorney?

“Administering an estate” means to wind up somebody’s affairs
and conclude all necessary business and arrangements after someone has died.

Certain family and practical matters – including some decisions that need
to be made
immediately following a death – may be necessary but are not cause for retaining an
attorney. Such pragmatic choices and acts may include deciding about organ
donation; contacting family members and loved ones; making funeral arrangements;
and arranging care for pets and dependents.

You also usually don’t need a lawyer for preliminary steps such as
ordering death certificates from the funeral director, or to search for
and locate an original Last Will and Testament or trust documents. You
can also begin on your own to gather financial records concerning assets,
accounts, insurance, debts, etc.

So when
do you need to consult an estates or probate attorney for guidance and assistance?
Here is a description of the work that we as lawyers usually do for clients,
to administer am estate.

Determine if probate estate proceedings (a court-administered legal process)
are needed and whether or not an Executor or Administrator must be officially
appointed to administer the estate. It if no estate needs to be opened,
and no Executor needs to be appointed, then we will not do so, and will
save a great deal of time, energy and money.

  1. On the other hand, if probate estate proceedings are necessary, we will
    open the probate estate and procure the appointment of the Executor or
    Administrator. This involves preparing the right paperwork and appearing
    in person downtown to be sworn in.
  2. Inventory the assets of the decedent, including nonprobate assets such
    as “Pay on Death” and joint accounts, which do not pass through
    probate but must be accounted for on the Pennsylvania Inheritance tax return.
  3. Make advance arrangements to open and inventory any safe deposit box. This
    procedure requires contacting the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and
    the bank ahead of time to be permitted to open the box.
  4. Check for unclaimed property and obtain a Statement of Claim from the PA
    Department of Human Services. Individuals often leave behind small or
    even large amounts of unclaimed property. In addition,when someone has
    received Medicaid such as for nursing home care, the Commonwealth may
    have a claim for reimbursement.
  5. Advertise the estate and notify creditors and other parties in interest.
    Dealing with creditors is especially important in insolvent estates
  6. Prepare and file probate estate filings, including Notice and Certification,
    Inventory, etc.
  7. Sell/liquidate assets and transfer or retitle accounts to new owners. Our
    experienced staff most often handle this paperwork, which can be confusing
    and annoying. Every company has their own forms and demands a slightly
    different set of documents.
  8. Pay bills, debts, claims and expenses
  9. Prepare and file Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax return and pay tax (and Federal
    estate tax as well if needed). We are experienced doing with these tax
    returns, as well as required fiduciary income tax returns for estates.
    We also help clients save money by making estimated payments at a discount.
  10. Prepare and obtain signatures on Family Settlement Agreement and summary
    Account, OR file formal Account for Audit in Court. At the end of the
    process, we often help smooth the way toward family consensus and agreement
    by answering questions and providing explanations for anxious participants.
  11. Make final distributions, and establish and fund continuing Trust arrangements if needed